"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." - Psalm 19:14

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Procedure, Bible Version, and Other Details


Okay, so here’s how this is going to work. Regarding the subject matter of my blogs, they will include pretty much anything that comes into my mind while reading. Because I’m used to thinking about modern religious issues, the material will probably extend to current day applications of what the text, rather than just the text itself. The title of this blog, "the meditation of my heart", comes from Psalm 19:14, which reads, "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." I ask that of God regarding this blog, which will not shy away from addressing these important and controversial issues. As with all such issues, the answers are sometimes not clear cut, and will require a subjective interpretation. Just because the Bible is an important and authoritative text doesn't mean everyone agrees on that interpretation, it's meaning, or its practical implications on our lives. That means I have to express opinions on those matters which may offend some readers who disagree. In such cases, or any time you'd like to chime in, I invite you to leave a comment. I would be happy to reply as soon as I see it.

Regarding my religious beliefs as they stand now, I would classify myself as a Lutheran, but that’s not very descriptive of what I really feel. I’m also not completely attached to that title; that denomination could change. Later tonight, I will post a couple of my old blogs on religion to get you caught up on my views as I’ve articulated them most recently.

Regarding the version of the Bible I’ll be reading, I've chosen the New International Version for two main reasons. Firstly, it is one of the two bibles my family owns. Secondly, it is viewed as a good blend of accuracy and readability. On most charts it is smack in the middle between the "word for word" translations (like the King James Version) and the more "dynamic" modern English Versions (like the Good News Bible). Specifically, it’s classified mostly as a "thought for thought" translation that both keeps the original meaning and also expresses that meaning in the language of the times. When I take out specific, important passages for examination, I will consult the King James for more exact word order and more traditional scholarly perspectives.

Regarding my timeline, I've mapped out my summer, and subtracted days which I'm not sure I'll have time to read due to an exchange program to Germany, and discovered that I have about 55 days in which to accomplish my goal. The New International Version I’m using is 1284 pages long, which means I’ll need to read about 24 pages a day (or one page an hour, coincidentally) to finish the Bible before the summer ends. That seems a reasonable pace to both finish on time and leave time to think about the text I read as I read it. Right now, I plan to do my reading and blog posts in the morning, but that could change based on my daily schedule (and discipline at waking up!) If I miss a day, I can always just read double the next day.

That’s all for now – I’ll repost my religion blogs from last year soon, and then tomorrow it’s time to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment